Saturday, July 25, 2015

Me, Write Children's Stories?!










   I've said yes to a new project.  Not because it pays well -- it doesn't.  Not because it will bring me recognition -- it won't.  I said yes because it presented me with a unique writing challenge.

   Translation: I've committed to submit a children's story (serialized or stand-alone) every other week to a daily journal.  (They wanted a story a week but I had to re-negotiate!)

   I write for adults as a rule.  I have a novel in progress.  I already have a regular writing practice -- seat to the seat, never a day without a line, and all that.  And yet, I said yes.

   Why?  Because I'm a writer and because it scared me.  To commit to biweekly deadlines was pause-worthy.  To commit to writing for a new audience in a new genre -- with biweekly deadlines -- was unsettling.  But, at the same time, the prospect was intriguing, ... enticing, ... enlivening.

   How could I not say yes?

  So why am I sharing this with you, my dear creatives?  Because I have a question I'd like you to consider:  when was the last time you said yes to something that challenged you creatively?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment