Sunday, March 31, 2013

Step Gently Into Each New Day

 


  Easter morning and it feels like Spring is actually here in Maine. Time to begin shaking out the contracted, drawn-in energy that has kept us warm through the long white winter. Time to move and stretch and bend and loosen. Time to freshen our approach to the mornings of our days.

  How do you begin your day?  Do you have a routine that sets the tone for the day before you step into it?  Being the creative soul that you are, perhaps it might be beneficial to create one or to revisit and refresh the one you already have?

  Just for fun, here's a little ditty that demonstrates how simple it can be:


Morning Ritual
I awaken, but don’t rise.
I lie breathing with closed eyes.
Breathing in, I take in peace.
Breathing out, all cares release.
Simply breathing, in and out.
Breathing simply, out and in.
Simply breathing, in and out.
Breathing simply once again.
Stretch my body, still in bed.
Clear the cobwebs from my head.
My intention for this day:
to be present, come what may.
I place my feet upon the floor, but
don’t go rushing out the door.
I pause a moment in the NOW.
Hands to heart, I humbly bow.
In the kitchen, I’m alone.
Time to set a peaceful tone.
At the table, set my place,
light a candle, welcome Grace.
Thankful for this morning tea.
Thankful for this time for me.
Thankful for this sacred space
amid my often hectic pace.

I take my pen and start to write.
No time to think, or get it "right."
No time to ask what it's about.
Just let it flow. Just get it out.

... My morning pages now are done,
not meant to share with anyone.
My hand's now loose, my mind's now clear.
I'm now present, fully here.

No matter what may come my way
as now I step into my day,
I know I’m centered in my heart
because I gave my day this start …
Breathing in, I rest awhile …
Breathing out, I simply smile …


  Okay, so this won't win any poetry prizes, but it's light and airy and has the sing-songey rhythm I was looking for. It's in keeping with my uplifted state on this Spring morning.  It's just what I needed to make my point. And so, I'm happy with it.
  Uplifted and enlivened, that's how I intend to step into each day.  As a writer and creative, I intend to make choices that best support my wish to engage fully, richly, and deeply with this incredible life I've been given -- one glorious day at a time.
 
  So, how do you begin your day?  Is your morning routine supportive of the creative life you wish for yourself?  Care to share a brief description of your morning ritual? ...








1 comment:

  1. I like how your morning starts. Maybe mine will start like that when my children move out in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete